Thursday 6 September 2012

HOW THE DEVIL ARE YOU?

Life has finally calmed down and my days of driving back and forth to the hospital for various appointments has reduced drastically - thank God.  My visits are now once every three weeks for Herceptin with the odd ECG and Oncologist appointment thrown in just to keep me on my toes.

This week Alec went back to College and is now in his final year and my "baby" started senior school.  The school run, which have dominated my days for the past 10 years, are a thing of the past and I now find myself with plenty of time on my hands.  I will miss standing at the school gates having a natter with my friends but, as these are the ladies who have been by my side during the ups and downs of this annus horribilus, we won't be losing touch - they can't get rid of me that easily!

And so, I finally find I have the time to update you all on what has been happening since April - blimey, was it really that long ago - time sure does fly when you are having fun....

When I left you I had two more doses of EC chemo remaining.  I am happy to report that I tolerated EC far better than the awful Mr Taxol.  The main side effect was a constant feeling of nausea, only relieved by eating - hence I gained nearly two stone during my treatment.  There were times when I worried that  my lack of severe side effects with this regime meant the chemo wasn't working.  There were also many times that I panicked that by choosing the neo-adjuntvant treatment ie. chemo first, that I had made the wrong decision.  Each time these worries took over, Alan had to calm me down and reassure me that I had made the right decision based on the facts and advice we were given at the time of diagnosis.  Part of me also believed that Hannah would have been able to handle everything a lot better if the offending breast had been removed at the start of treatment, rather than being left to hang around like the spectre at the feast.

My last dose of EC was scheduled for a few days before Alec's 18th birthday, for which we were planning a family "do.  Despite the fact that I have a very good friend, Alison (Ali-Makes-Cakes), who is an expert in this field and in high demand, Hannah insisted we do it ourselves.  When I told Alison about the cake Hannah had planned, she saw the look of sheer panic on my face and very kindly offered to help out.   The result was a wonderful concoction of chocolate cake decorated with Cadburys fingers and large chocolate buttons, Alec, a secret chocoholic, loved it.   I asked my Onc if it would be possible to delay my treatment until the  Monday after his Birthday as I didn't want to spend the day with my head over a bucket.  The main side effect I had with EC was a constant feeling of nausea and I wanted to enjoy Alec's coming of age.  The only reason I would be unwell would be if I had over indulged during the celebrations!  Thankfully, my Onc agreed with me and happily arranged for me to have treatment


From the very start of this it was always made clear to me that, due to the size of my "lump" and the way it presented itself, I would need a mastectomy followed by radiotherapy.




Alan has lost most of the weight he put on during my treatment (comfort eating was his way of dealing with it all) and I lost a breast - careless, I know but I've had the house upside down, searched down the back of the sofas and its definitely gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment